Saturday, August 22, 2009

Where I'm at today

I've been starting to get really into yoga lately, which I am quite excited about. Besides the physical benefits which are obvious, I have been surprised to find the spiritual benefits are drawing me in. Not in a way that would contradict religious beliefs or what have you. But yoga seems to boost my spirituality, I suppose making me reflect on my self image, how I live in the moment, and my appreciation for life. One thing that has really inspired me from my classes is the concept of respecting myself where I am today, my capabilities, strengths, desires and limitations. I often discourage myself by thinking I am not doing enough, or am not capable of what I should be capable of. Yoga seems to take the word should out of use, only focusing on what is. As well, one of my teachers emphasized being an indtender in class last week. As in doing everything you do with intention, not be default or accident, but by active choice and with care and energy. I would go as far as saying that on top of it, we should not half-ass anything, but actually only do what we really have the energy and will to do with our full heart, mind and strength. So, I'm going to start my new semester of school with those thoughts in mind.

Classes I will be taking: Biostatistics & Intro to Global Public Health
Both are requirements, and I am expecting them to be challenging but useful.

As well, I am spending the rest of August pinning down my choice for an Advisor -- who will help me focus my degree and determine what/where/how I will be doing an international immersion for my internship, field work and eventual thesis research. I spent a lot of time researching professors, what they are interested in, what activities they do, and where they are connected. I've found a few that are promising, but one at the top of the list whom I think has a grassroots mindset that would compliment mine. He arranged a meeting with me next week, and instead of the normal "meet me in my office" style, he called and asked that I meet him at an immigrant clinic he volunteers at, to volunteer with him while discussing my ideas. Right up my alley -- and hopefully an opportunity to practice some Spanish. So, I intend to find out what his research of the moment focuses on, where his connections are for international experiences, and how my interests align with his. I'm looking forward to this.

Finally, I will be intentionally reflecting on how to integrate my Public Health career objectives in the job I currently have. Instead of going through the motions at work, I want to feel like it is prepping me for my future career instead of just paying the bills and enabling a free education (though these are important). I want to have confidence that the time I am spending now at work is not just for a paycheck, but in some way will keep me on the path towards something great.

Consider it: Writing out your intentions for the week and seeing how well you focus on them

Unlearn it: doing things by default, or without passion, energy or purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment